Sep 30, 2019
Today, I am lucky to have here with me a CEO, author, president
of the Applied Science and Performance Institute, and someone who
is consistently working to spread awareness around the Ketogenic
Lifestyle, Dr. Ryan P. Lowery.
He earned his BS and MS in exercise physiology and exercise and
nutrition science from the University of Tampa and completed his
doctorate work at Concordia University in Health and Human
Performance with a focus on “The Effects of a Well-Formulated
Ketogenic Diet and Exogenous Ketone Supplementation on Various
Markers of Health and Body Composition in Healthy and Diseased
Over his career, Ryan has published over 150 papers, abstracts,
and book chapters on human performance and sports nutrition and has
dedicated his life to educating the masses. In his free time, Ryan
enjoys spending time with his best friend, Scoot the Keto Pup, jet
skiing, and traveling around the world. The way to his heart is
through a good glass of wine and Keto desserts.
In this episode, Ryan and I talk about his amazing story and
what he is currently working on. First, Ryan reveals what ignited
his passion for educating people on the importance of healthy
eating. Then, Ryan explains the future of obesity and why inspired
action is the only thing that will change the world. He also
describes tips for eating Keto, why some people fail when trying
the lifestyle, and how you can gain muscle. Tune in!
This show is sponsored by the World's Healthiest Keto Coffee
beans, Purity Coffee. Get your bag of beans delivered to your door:
use the coupon code ketokamp for 10% off.
Grab the Keto Kickstart Guide for FREE: www.ketokickstartguide.com
// T I M E S T A M P S
[00:30] September 10, 2002
- Ryan’s dad drove him down to the shore because something was
wrong with his grandmother. When he got there, his grandmother had
- His grandmother was obese, which ultimately contributed to her
passing in her early 60’s.
- This initiated Ryan’s entire journey of educating people.
[03:45] The Future of Obesity
- The obesity trend in children is unacceptable.
- Obesity trends are not only in America, but it is also
happening all over the world.
- At the end of the day, it takes inspired action.
[06:50] How Ryan Started with Keto
- Ryan is a self-proclaimed carboholic.
- After college, Ryan could no longer eat his normal amount of
carbs. He realized his metabolism wasn’t the same.
- The first time Ryan started the keto diet, he felt terrible.
Three times a day, he would make keto moose, and that was literally
all he ate.
[10:00] Biggest Reason for the Keto Flu
- It is going to take time for your body to adjust to using fat
- The use of electrolytes can mitigate a lot of the flu. Sodium
has been demonized; however, you need to be salting
- Some people can completely switch to keto, whereas other people
need to transition to the diet slowly.
- Make habit changes to develop a long-term lifestyle.
[13:45] Building Muscle with the Ketogenic
- You need to allow time for the adaptation period. The phase may
be one to three weeks. Plus, you probably will not be training as
- After you adapt, the ketogenic diet group will gain just as
much muscle as individuals who are eating a carbohydrate diet. Each
group ate the exact same amount of protein.
[17:40] Why People Fail with the Ketogenic
- A lot of people do not have the right information about the
- Also, people have trouble understanding what constitutes a
well-formulated ketogenic diet and how to get electrolytes.
- Eating keto isn’t about eating high-fat, it is about eating
[20:10] Long-Term Keto Success
- Dial-in the electrolytes. Don’t be afraid of having tons of
sodium. However, you don’t want table salt.
- Movement – if you want long-term benefits, you need some form
of movement. This doesn’t have to be doing squats at the gym; you
could be going for a walk or a hike once a day.
- Mindset – Ryan calls it intermittent eating rather than
intermittent fasting. Find a place where you are comfortable.
[24:00] Working Out While Fasting
- If your goal is to become a bodybuilder, working out while
fasting probably won’t help with that goal.
- Ryan recommends shifting your eating habits earlier. Many
people skip breakfast, then eat lunch and dinner. Ryan says to eat
a bigger breakfast and then eat a smaller dinner.
[27:35] The Ketogenic Bible
The Ketogenic Bible: The Authoritative Guide to Ketosis makes
understanding keto practical.
- Jacob Wilson and Ryan Lowery offer a comprehensive look at the
ketogenic diet and the fat-burning state it induces, ketosis.
- Ryan’s favorite part of writing the book was looking up the
history. For instance, Ryan found out the political motivations
behind the reason’s society eats the way it does.
- Butter is back, and avocado sales are soaring.
[35:00] The Applied Science & Performance Institute
- Their mission is to challenge current dogma in the health and
human performance realms with new insight to effectively promote a
healthy lifestyle and optimize physical performance.
- They want the information they find out from research to get
out to the masses as soon as possible.
- To support the institute check out their website: The Applied Science &
[39:00] The Ketogenic Diet Puts You at a Metabolic
- You are burning fat at a higher rate with ketosis.
- All calories are not the same. Carb calories vs. fiber calories
are completely different.
- If you are trying to diet on a low-fat diet vs. a low-carb
diet, the adherence rate to a low-carb diet is much higher.
- On a low-carb diet, people tend to eat fewer calories by
[49:00] What Ryan is Most Excited About
- The potential we see in the neurological areas is so
fascinating because keto is much more than a fat loss
- Keto provides a fuel source for the brain to utilize.
- Ryan works with NFL alumni. Some of them can’t leave their
house without a monitor because they don’t know how to get home.
Instead of attacking it with drugs, it could be their brain
starving for energy.
[55:30] The Definition of Perfect Health
- Health is multifaceted. Living in a state of fulfillment and
gratitude will take up a majority of our health.
- We could be in a poor state internally, but if we are
fulfilled, then we are in a far better state than someone who is
AND MUCH MORE!
Resources from this episode:
This podcast is for information purposes only. Statements and
views expressed on this podcast are not medical advice. This
podcast including Ben Azadi disclaim responsibility from any
possible adverse effects from the use of information contained
herein. Opinions of guests are their own, and this podcast does not
accept responsibility of statements made by guests. This podcast
does not make any representations or warranties about guests
qualifications or credibility. Individuals on this podcast may have
a direct or non-direct interest in products or services referred to
herein. If you think you have a medical problem, consult a licensed