Aug 24, 2020
Today, I am blessed to have here with me, the leading authority
on nutrition and human metabolism, Dr. Cate Shanahan.
A board-certified Family Physician with over 20 years of
clinical experience, and NY Times bestselling author of The FatBurn
Fix, Deep Nutrition and Food Rules, her expertise is fixing the
underlying problems that cause metabolic damage and inflammation,
leading to autoimmunity, weight gain, diabetes, cancer and
accelerated aging processes. Her passion is helping people feel
After getting her BS in biology from Rutgers University,
she trained in biochemistry and genetics at Cornell
University’s graduate school before attending Robert Wood Johnson
Medical School. She practiced in Hawaii for ten years where she
studied ethnobotany and her healthiest patient’s culinary
She applied her learning and experiences in all these
scientific fields to write Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes
Need Traditional Food. Together with Dr. Tim DiFrancesco
and NBA legend Gary Vitti, she created
the PRO Nutrition program for the LA Lakers and helped forge a
partnership between Whole Foods Market and numerous NBA teams.
In May of 2018 she begin Director of Metabolic Health for
ABC Fine Wine and Spirits, a progressive, family-run company
interested in saving money by the betterment of health.
She’s also the Medical & Scientific Advisor at CB
Supplements, overseeing their premium-grade multi collagen
protein, and for beliv, a forward-thinking Latin
American beverage company.
In this episode, Dr. Cate reveals the details behind her health
journey and nutritional career. Dr. Cate discloses what it was like
to work for the LA Lakers and the diet that helped Kobe Bryant
recover from a terrible ankle injury. Also, Dr. Cate explains why
we need to avoid The Hateful Eight Oils and how it could be the key
to reducing coronavirus deaths. Plus, we talk all about omega-3s,
the problem with fish oils, and everything you need to know about
// E P I S O D E S P ON S O R S
PureForm Omega Plant Based Oils (Best Alternative to Fish Oil):
Use ben4 for $4.00 off.
http://www.Kettleandfire.com/ketokamp and use
KETOKAMP at checkout to save 15% on your entire order.
☕️ Purity Coffee: http//:www.ketokampcoffee.com, use ketokamp at
checkout for 10% off
// T I M E S T A M P S
[00:30] About Dr. Cate
- While in Hawaii, Dr. Cate got a mysterious problem with her
right knee. Nothing would help it. She had surgery and saw multiple
- Eventually, Dr. Cate took her husband’s advice and cut the
- After learning about nutrition, Dr. Cate realized that our
health problems started in the 1950s.
- Now, Dr. Cate says we should take advantage of all the living
and edible parts of our landscape.
[09:05] How Dr. Cate Gets Her Message Out To The
- There are so many barriers in place for education on
- For one, Dr. Cate would give talks about nutrition. So, she got
a reputation for being a Master of Nutrition. However, people would
come from all over Hawaii to ask Dr. Cate everything! There was no
way to manage it.
- Later, Dr. Cate moved to New Hampshire to get her message out.
She found out the medical system was silencing her message, not
where she lived.
- Currently, Dr. Cate works for a company directly. That way, her
income is not based on churning through people as fast as
[12:50] Working For The LA Lakers
- The only reason Dr. Cate worked for the LA Lakers was because
of her husband. Her husband had the idea that it would be great if
there were a radical overhaul on their nutritional science.
- When players get injured, Dr. Cate will use the natural healing
properties of bone broth to get them on the court as fast as
- Kobe Bryant was totally on board for the natural healing
methods. After an ankle injury, he recovered in two weeks using a
- Bone broth and collagen are like a missing food group – it
helps skin, hair, nails, ligaments, and the gut.
- The most important thing that no one is talking about is The
Hateful Eight Seed Oils. These oils are incompatible with athletic
- A big part of Dr. Cate’s job was making sure that the players
knew what to order and what to avoid.
[19:00] About The Hateful Eight
- Avoid these oils:
- They are too high in unstable fatty acids.
- The average person is getting most of their calories from these
- Without these seed oils, we would not have the burden of
- We were healthier 100 years ago, and we had no clue about
vitamins, minerals, and supplements.
[24:10] The Great Exchange
- After a certain point, our body wants nothing to do with these
unstable fatty acids.
- Two percent of daily calories should come from omega-3 and
omega-6. We actually need more omega-3 than we do omega-6.
- The exchange of good fatty acids for bad fatty acids opens the
door to chronic disease. Once we exceed the two percent amount of
unstable fatty acids, then they end up in our body fat.
- We have a lot of people who are on the skinny side but are
centrally obese. Our bodies cannot traffic these unstable acids
properly. That’s why it stays near the fat lining of our
- Start eating the monounsaturated fatty acids.
- Clear your life of the seed oils.
[28:55] We Need More Omega-3s Than Omega-6s
- On a healthy diet, omega-3s are more likely to get damaged
- For the amount that is ultimately absorbed, we need more
omega-3 sources in the food that we eat.
- You can’t supplement more omega-3 if you have been eating a
standard American diet. Instead, you have to cut the omega-6. If
you reduce omega-6 without increasing your intake of omega-3, then
your blood levels of omega-3 will start to rise.
- Oxidation science is very complicated, and there is a lot to
[33:40] Fish Oil Is Highly Unstable
- Oxygen will attack the bond and destroy the molecule. Fish oil
has two double bonds. So the oxygen is nine billion times more
likely to attack.
- Fish oils can have five double bonds. It is so unstable that it
rarely makes it off the shelf before it’s destroyed.
- The fish oil will turn into toxic compounds.
- People are getting toxic compounds from low-quality fish
[36:30] How To Reduce Coronavirus Deaths
- Brazil leads in the consumption of seed oils. They are also the
country that leads in the number of deaths from coronavirus.
- Countries that consume more peanut oil have a lot fewer
- This isn’t a crazy coincidence.
- The connection is inflammation.
- Coronavirus is a modest virus when you compare it to things
like the bubonic plague.
- The virus will make our own processes work against us. That
way, the virus can continue to divide into our bodies. When people
die from the virus, it’s the inflammation in their lungs.
- Avoid unstable fats to stay healthy.
[41:35] Thoughts On Peanut Oil
- Peanut oil straddles the seed oil and the nut oil worlds.
- Nut oils are much more stable than seed oils.
- Peanuts are really seeds. However, it’s not enough to be a
problem in our body.
- You do not have to process the peanut so harshly. You can
extract it without high heat, pressure, and chemicals.
- You can have peanut oils made with pure and raw materials.
[45:00] The Metabolism Does Not Have Speeds
- Our metabolism doesn’t have speeds; it has efficiency and
- When we are a fat burner, it can efficiently switch from
burning calories in our last meal to burning fat if we have a
- Our metabolism can burn our body fat, so we don’t get hungry
hours after a meal. That is an efficient metabolism.
- If our metabolism is inefficient, then we have a hard time
burning body fat.
AND MUCH MORE!
Resources from this episode:
// F O L L O W
▸ instagram | @thebenazadi | http://bit.ly/2B1NXKW
▸ facebook | /thebenazadi | http://bit.ly/2BVvvW6
▸ twitter | @thebenazadi http://bit.ly/2USE0so
Disclaimer: This podcast is for information purposes only.
Statements and views expressed on this podcast are not medical
advice. This podcast including Ben Azadi disclaim responsibility
from any possible adverse effects from the use of information
contained herein. Opinions of guests are their own, and this
podcast does not accept responsibility of statements made by
guests. This podcast does not make any representations or
warranties about guests qualifications or credibility. Individuals
on this podcast may have a direct or non-direct interest in
products or services referred to herein. If you think you have a
medical problem, consult a licensed physician.