Aug 17, 2020
Today, I am blessed to have a repeat guest, Canadian clinical
researcher, and expert on therapeutic fasting and low carbohydrate
diets, guiding more than 10,000 people worldwide, Megan Ramos.
Passionate about overcoming her own health hurdles through diet
and lifestyle modifications, she co-founded the Fasting
Method(www.fastingmethod.com) and The Fasting Method.
Megan was diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
(NALFD) at age 12, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) at age 14,
and type 2 diabetes (DMII) at age 27. She reversed these metabolic
conditions and achieve an 86-pound weight loss by incorporating
intermittent fasting with a low carb diet, and is now passionate
about helping others do the same.
Megan lives in Toronto, Canada. She is a director of the
nonprofit organization Public Health Collaboration Canada (PHC
Canada), works on the editorial board of the Journal of Insulin
Resistance and Team Diet Doctor.
In this episode, Megan Ramos explains how you should start
fasting and why you need to stop snacking. Ghrelin is our hunger
hormone – just like our other hormones, it fluctuates throughout
the day. Megan reveals some creative ways that you can ride out the
ghrelin hunger wave. Plus, we get into common health complaints and
side effects. Megan touches on why you may be bloated during a
fast, why you may experience diarrhea during a fast, or why you may
be constipated. Stay tuned as we talk keto breath and the
importance of hydration.
// E P I S O D E S P ON S O R S
PureForm Omega Plant Based Oils (Best Alternative to Fish Oil):
Use ben4 for $4.00 off.
http://www.Kettleandfire.com/ketokamp and use
KETOKAMP at checkout to save 15% on your entire order.
☕️ Purity Coffee: http//:www.ketokampcoffee.com, use ketokamp at
checkout for 10% off
[01:50] How To Stop Snacking
- Whatever diet you are following, it’s critical to stop
- In between meals, rely on fluids to get you through the day.
Drink water, bone broth, or herbal tea to curb hunger.
- Making it from lunch to dinner without snacks is a massive
- Insulin resistance is caused by chronic secretion of insulin.
The pancreas is not designed to stimulate insulin throughout the
- If you eliminate snacking, it will help you reach your
[07:20] We Are Note Designed To Eat
- Eating all day long is making us age faster, it’s making us
sicker, and it hurts our health.
- We are not designed to eat more than a couple of times a
[08:15] How To Start Fasting
- People are comfortable with cutting out breakfast. Start with
eating lunch and eating dinner. This should be done every day to
build your fasting muscles.
- Sixteen hours is a mild fast – it’s like stretching every day.
Once this becomes easy, then cut out lunch and cut out dinner,
depending on what works best for your schedule.
- It’s better to eat earlier in the day if you are going to
- Experiment with sodium to get to dinner without any
- After a fast, assess results:
- Are you feeling well?
- Do you see improvements?
[13:30] Our Hunger Hormone Cycles Throughout The
- All of our hormones go up and down throughout the day.
- Ghrelin, the hunger hormone, will also cycle throughout the
- When you hit a hunger wave, it’s best to distract yourself. Try
an appetite suppressant like peppermint tea. Once you get busy, the
hunger wave will subside.
- Ride out the hunger wave by creating a list of things to
- Another way to ride the hunger wave is by reducing your
- Use hunger waves to meditate, breathe, or listen to Keto
- Water, salt, and magnesium will assist with stress and
[21:20] Getting A Continuous Glucose Monitor
- Call your insurance company and let them know about your blood
- Most people can get their monitors covered.
- In Canada, you are able to get the monitors easily.
- Megan says to work with your healthcare provider to negotiate
[23:20] The Importance of Changing Your Fasting
- If you’re fasting every other day, it usually provides enough
- When people are only eating one meal a day, their bodies will
adapt to it.
- For maintenance, one meal a day is excellent. However, many
people can be happy with two meals a day.
- When looking to lose weight, your body will adapt to your
- There is a big difference between fasting and calorie
- Your days should be varied and different, so your body does not
- For people who like to do OMAD, alternate which meal you’re
having. Eat lunch one day, dinner the next, then lunch the day
after. It’s a great way to change your routine and keep variation
in your fast.
[33:00] Why Your Breath Smells While
- When we fast, fatty acids are converted into ketones, which are
natural chemicals your body produces when you burn fat for
- Ketones are released through our breath, and it may cause “keto
- Brushing your tongue is one way to get rid of the smelly
- Oil pulling is beneficial for the breath – it helps get
bacteria out of the mouth.
[35:20] Why You’re Bloated During A Fast
- Some people are bloated because they are constipated.
- Most people have adrenal dysfunction. There could be stress on
- Electrolyte imbalances can also cause bloating.
- Focus on sodium as the gateway electrolyte. If you can sustain
healthy sodium levels, then it should lower that bloating.
[37:10] Diarrhea Or Constipation While
- You may have diarrhea while detoxing.
- If insulin levels are high, and you start a fast, they can drop
rapidly. The kidneys may not be able to process all of that water –
so some will go through the colon.
- If this happens, start with shorter fasts.
- Stabilize your carb intake on your eating days to prevent large
- Hydration is key! Not just water, but water and
- If you are constipated, most likely, your thyroid is
suppressed. As your body figures out your new lifestyle changes, it
will adjust accordingly. Keep water and salt up to support the
[41:10] Why You’re Cold During A Fast
- The thyroid could be a reason why you are cold during a
- Low ketones is another reason why you are cold while
- Warmth should improve when your ketones are higher.
[45:20] About Carb Cycling
- If someone is exceptionally diabetic, then they should stay
keto. Even a few carbs can be counter-productive.
- Usually, Megan will introduce carbs when women are halfway
through their journey. If they are off their medications and are
seeing more glucose control, then they can start eating carbs
- Carb cycling will help support female hormones.
- If a woman has been doing straight keto and fasting quite a
lot, they may hit a plateau to access body fat. After carb cycling,
they may feel even better.
AND MUCH MORE!
Resources from this episode:
*Some Links Are Affiliates*
// F O L L O W
▸ instagram | @thebenazadi | http://bit.ly/2B1NXKW
▸ facebook | /thebenazadi | http://bit.ly/2BVvvW6
▸ twitter | @thebenazadi http://bit.ly/2USE0so
Disclaimer: This podcast is for information purposes only.
Statements and views expressed on this podcast are not medical
advice. This podcast including Ben Azadi disclaim responsibility
from any possible adverse effects from the use of information
contained herein. Opinions of guests are their own, and this
podcast does not accept responsibility of statements made by
guests. This podcast does not make any representations or
warranties about guests qualifications or credibility. Individuals
on this podcast may have a direct or non-direct interest in
products or services referred to herein. If you think you have a
medical problem, consult a licensed physician.