Feb 15, 2021
Today, I am blessed to have here with me a big-hearted
chiropractor with a special interest in functional neurology, brain
optimization, and weight loss, Dr. Stephanie Estima.
Dr. Stephanie Estima studied Neuroscience and Psychology before
becoming a Doctor of Chiropractic. She has been in private practice
for 16 years where she is helps people achieve extraordinary health
at her Toronto clinic -The Health Loft.
Also, she is the host of Better with Dr. Stephanie. This show is
for high performing women who want to have BETTER bodies, BETTER
minds, BETTER relationships, BETTER sex, and BETTER families.
Dr. Stephanie loves taking the complex science and making it
easy to integrate into daily life. Every week she gives people
access to world class scientists, medical doctors, plastic
surgeons, professional athletes, Olympic athletes, Hollywood
actors, parenting coaches, sex experts and psychologists.
Dr. Stephanie is always looking to answer this question: what
are the simplest things we can do today, to get better tomorrow?
She is part geek, part magic, and it’s her mission to be the voice
for women...Let’s get better together.
In this episode, Dr. Stephanie Estima opens the show by
explaining how she discovered that keto cycling could benefit your
menstrual cycle. Period symptoms should not be considered normal.
Instead, we should think of them as warning signs that our body
needs something. Every symptom can be a vital sign of something
more profound and more significant. Then, Dr. Stephanie dives deep
into the menstrual cycle. She explains what you should be eating
during each part of your cycle. Tune in as we talk about tracking
your cycle and what happens in the menopausal stage of life.
/ / E P I S O D E S P ON S O R S
PureForm Omega Plant Based Oils (Best Alternative to Fish Oil):
Use ben4 for $4.00 off.
☕️ Purity Coffee: http//:www.ketokampcoffee.com, use ketokamp at
checkout for 10% off
[00:50] About Dr. Stephanie Estima
- Stephanie started in the keto space interested in the effects
the diet can have on the brain and clarity of thought.
- So, Dr. Stephanie tried keto along with her patients. When
couples did it together, the male partner would always have
significant weight loss. While on the other hand, the female
partner would see little weight loss despite eating the same type
- Personally, Dr. Stephanie enjoyed her focus and productivity.
However, in the background, she was dealing with a lot of menstrual
- At one point, Dr. Stephanie had a period and it actually went
well. She realized that keto cycling could be beneficial for your
menstrual cycle. Now, she loves getting her period!
[06:45] What Your Period Says About Your
- “Your period is the lasso of truth.” -Dr. Stephanie
- Stephanie says that your menstrual cycle is going to tell you
about the hormonal status of your body.
- The menstrual cycle is a vital sign for women.
- If you have heavy bleeding, clotting, and sleep disturbances –
then those are signs that your body is trying to tell you things
are not balanced.
- Women need to stop looking at their symptoms as punishment.
Instead, women should listen to their bodies.
- Thick hair could mean too much testosterone. You want to
identify common patterns that happen as it relates to hormonal
[11:05] About The Betty Body
- Stephanie’s new book is called The Betty Body. You can order it
- In the book, Stephanie dives into why women should stop dieting
and take control of their hormones to feel amazing in their
- A Betty epitomizes a modern-day queen, commonly associated with
increased levels of self-worth (because she continues to create
- Stephanie likes to think about how to play the long game with
women. In the book, she talks about how sex and orgasms are
important things for women to think about. It improves all our
vital signs, and most importantly, is a vehicle for
[15:45] Diving Into The Menstrual Cycle
- Week 1: When we think about the first week of our cycle, it’s
the bleed week.
- Most hormones have gone on vacation during this time. FHS is
still around (follicle-stimulating hormone). One lucky egg will be
developed. So, it’s a wonderful week for vegetables.
- The first two weeks of your cycle are all about developing your
follicle – you will be more resilient to restrict carbohydrates.
It’s a nice week for fasting because we don’t have
- Week 2: After the bleed week and into the second week, it’s the
week before ovulation.
- Ovulation is the main event – it’s the whole point of your
- Whether or not you want a child, that’s what your body wants to
- In this week, we see estrogen. Estrogen is designed for growth
because we want to develop the follicle.
- The other hormone that comes up is testosterone. In this week,
your interest in sex should go up.
- Week 3: Week three happens after your ovulation.
- Now, your egg can hang around and wait for sperm.
- The entire hormonal landscape is going to change.
- Back off aggressive fasting this week.
- Give yourself flexibility- we are much more sensitive than our
- Add resistant starches to your diet during this week. Resistant
starches are foods that will resist digestion. It cannot be broken
down in the small intestine. Instead, they will go into the large
intestine. Luckily, they don’t count toward your carbohydrate
intake. Some examples of resistant starches: green bananas, green
plantains, raw potatoes, cold rice,
- Week 4: Peak week!
- During a blood test this week, all of the things will be
- Relax on keto this week and pump up the calories.
- Get out of ketosis – eat squash, sweet potato, and fruit.
[30:20] The Importance Of Listening To Our Body
- Listen to your body and what it is trying to tell you.
- If you really like to increase fat on a certain week, then do
- Stephanie only has best practices. However, every woman is
different, unique, and beautiful.
[42:15] Tracking Your Cycle
- Stephanie uses Clue to track her cycle. Check it out here:
- The first thing you should do is get information about where
you are in your cycle.
[48:15] What Menopausal Women Need To Know
- Women in their menopausal stage can become more insulin
resistant. The cells are not as sensitive to the effects of
insulin. So, women will see an increase in blood glucose.
- Plus, muscles will also become resistant. It will actually take
more for a muscle to grow when a woman is fifty and beyond.
AND MUCH MORE!
Resources from this episode:
// F O L L O W
▸ instagram | @thebenazadi | http://bit.ly/2B1NXKW
▸ facebook | /thebenazadi | http://bit.ly/2BVvvW6
▸ twitter | @thebenazadi http://bit.ly/2USE0so
▸clubhouse | @thebenazadi
Disclaimer: This podcast is for information purposes only.
Statements and views expressed on this podcast are not medical
advice. This podcast including Ben Azadi disclaim responsibility
from any possible adverse effects from the use of information
contained herein. Opinions of guests are their own, and this
podcast does not accept responsibility of statements made by
guests. This podcast does not make any representations or
warranties about guests qualifications or credibility. Individuals
on this podcast may have a direct or non-direct interest in
products or services referred to herein. If you think you have a
medical problem, consult a licensed physician.