Feb 22, 2021
Today, I am blessed to have here with me for the THIRD time Dr.
Jeff Matheson. He is the co-founder of an all-natural migraine and
headache centre, which promotes a non-narcotic approach to pain and
headache management. Plus, Dr. Jeff Matheson is the co-founder and
medical director of Pure Life Science.
Dr. Jeff Matheson successfully practiced medicine in emergency
departments across Canada and internationally, from Ontario,
Newfoundland, and Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates. He later
was appointed Medical Director of Med-EmergInc in 1998, a company
dedicated to staffing underserved hospitals in Canada.
Dr. Matheson has traveled extensively throughout Europe, the
Middle East, Africa, and South East Asia and well as Oceania.
According to Dr. Matheson, “traveling is the best education!” Dr.
Matheson is an enthusiastic believer, as well as being immersed in
other cultures. Similarly, if one does not listen to patients, one
won’t hear what is necessary to understand the patient’s problem,
i.e., the patient’s “culture.”
It is with this ability to listen and empathize with the
patients that Dr. Matheson allows an accurate diagnosis and develop
sustainable solutions, optimizing health, and patient outcomes. If
a solution cannot be determined, resources will be dedicated,
through the involvement of alternative care specialists,
ascertaining the best possible treatment for the patient by trying
to treat causes, not just manage symptoms.
In this episode, Dr. Jeff Matheson dives straight into how our
body will produce energy through our cell membranes. If someone
lacks energy, they usually think they have a hormone problem,
meaning they need to take more hormones. However, that's not the
case. Dr. Jeff Matheson explains how our hormones require a
delicate balance; adding exogenous hormones will push our bodies
out of balance. Instead, think about making different nutritional
decisions to fix any hormone irregularities. Later, we discuss why
keto and fasting are great for our cells and why fish oils aren't
so great for them. Tune in as we chat all about Pure Life
[01:15] How Our Body Will Produce Energy
- We're made up of about 70 trillion cells.
- Our body is great at communication, not only within each organ
but between organs. All this communication is done through the cell
- The cell membrane is the basic divide between the outside world
and the inside world – that’s where the fundamental communication
- All hormonal issues boil down to unhealthy cell membranes.
[03:45] Hormones Aren’t That Simple
- Hormones need a delicate balance. If you start adding exogenous
hormones into the system, you're going to push that system out of
- How adding exogenous hormones into your body will affect you
later on down the road is really difficult to predict.
- The whole hormonal cascade is extremely complex.
- When people correct their underlying nutritional issues,
usually within six to nine months, they should be able to come off
all exogenous hormones.
[06:25] Bad Things That Develop In Our
- The problem that will affect people first is mitochondrial
issues. The mitochondria is a very high-energy place, it's supposed
to produce lots of energy, but it can be screwed up fairly easily.
The first thing that people feel is fatigue - that's that
mitochondria sort of breaking down.
- Later down the road, genetic issues will show up, and that’s
when you start getting cancers.
[09:15] Why Your Supplements Might Not Be
- If you have an unhealthy cell membrane, things can't get
- On average, the cell membrane is 50% fat. If you have abnormal
fats in that cell membrane, that membrane becomes more like
plastic. When you put plastic wrap on something, not a lot of stuff
- So, you won't be able to get good things in very efficiently,
and you won't be able to get the bad things out very efficiently.
It's only a matter of time in that kind of situation until you have
a total cell breakdown.
[14:30] How Keto & Fasting Help Support The Cell
- The brain is about 70% fat – it operates on keto about seven to
eleven times more efficiently than on carbohydrates.
- Fat-based energy production is way more efficient.
- Every single one of our ancestors did keto because their
environment forced them into it.
- Once you achieve metabolic freedom and flexibility, your body
can actually manufacture glucose from the fat and from
[18:20] Is Omega-6 Bad For You?
- Omega-6 isn’t bad for you; processed omega-6 is bad for
- Omega-6 has the same oxygen-binding capacity as hemoglobin.
Hemoglobin is also intimately bound to the cell membrane; so, they
work well together.
- After people take the proper amount of omega-6, they feel
better. Plus, they will be able to feel it fast.
[21:10] The Issue With Fish Oil
- Fish oil is high in EPA and DHA. They're what we call
unsaturated are much more unstable.
- Not only is fish oil too unstable for us, it's not really
needed in very large quantities.
- As it turns out, the brain only uses about seven and a half
milligrams per day of EPA and DHA.
- People on a high dose of fish oil will have a problem with nose
bleeds – it’s an obvious example of fluidity.
- If you overload yourself with fish oil, the mitochondria is
only half as efficient as it should be.
[34:55] Is Eating Fish Bad Too?
- You can certainly eat fish. When you cook it, you're destroying
the fats anyways.
- It's the deepwater fish that are higher in EPA and DHA.
- Fish have a lot of good nutrition in it unless it's been
contaminated with heavy metals and stuff. In Japan, where they eat
mostly raw fish, they do have higher rates of hemorrhagic
- Fish that have fewer heavy metals are ones with a fast turnover
like sardines. Tuna is a bad one because tuna will eat a lot of
other fish and is lower on the food chain.
[39:45] About Pure Form
- Pure Form Omega® Natural is an organic, plant-based, fish-free,
cold-pressed, source of omega-6 and omega-3 essential fatty
- It has been processed in a way that retains all the functions
of the fat.
- It is a proprietary formulation made up of primrose oil,
sunflower seed oil, pumpkin seed oil, and organic extra virgin
coconut oil. These are all excellent sources of essential omega-6,
along with organic flaxseed oil for essential omega-3, to obtain
what we consider the ideal omega 3-6 combination.
[45:25] Good vs. Bad Sunflower Oil
- If you look at the average sunflower oil, even organic
sunflower oil that's on the shelf, it's not cold-pressed. Heat and
oxygen are bad for fats.
- When you do cold pressure, you actually lose about 20% of the
- You can put a processed oil on the shelf for years; it'll look
[51:20] Hangover Prevention
- Since the brain is 70% fat, you put all the good fats in the
brain, you don't get headaches.
- Just another reason to love Pure Form Omega®.
- However, most people will feel a little tired the next day
because alcohol disturbs your sleep pattern. Luckily, you won't
have the headache and all the other stuff that accompanies those
AND MUCH MORE!
Resources from this episode:
Sullivan, E. Madison, et al., “Docosahexaenoic acid lowers
cardiac mitochondrial enzyme activity by replacing linoleic acid in
thephospholipidome,“ Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2018, 293:
466-2018 Jan 12;293(2):466-483.