Sep 25, 2020
Today, I am grateful to have a repeat Keto Kamp guest, a
Canadian nephrologist, the world-leading expert on intermittent
fasting and low carb, especially for
treating people with type 2 diabetes, Dr.
He has written three
best-selling health books and he co-founded the Intensive
Dietary Management program.
Dr. Fung has his own websites at thefastingmethod.com.
Dr. Fung graduated from the University of Toronto and completed
his residency at the University of California, Los Angeles. He
lives and works in Toronto, Canada.
Dr. Fung works with Team Diet
Doctor. Together we want to make it simple for people to
understand and implement intermittent fasting, to improve their
health. Below is some of the material with Dr. Fung on Diet
In this episode, Dr. Jason Fung dives deep into his eye-opening
biography of cancer in which he offers a radical new paradigm for
understanding cancer. He explains that all cancers develop from our
own cells. When four people get the same type of cancer, all four
people will have cancer cells that look identical. Then, Dr. Jason
touches on the correlations between glucose, bad fats, and cancer.
Stay tuned as Dr. Jason answers questions from the Keto Kamp
listeners, including the benefits of fasting during
// E P I S O D E S P ON S O R S
PureForm Omega Plant Based Oils (Best Alternative to Fish Oil):
Use ben4 for $4.00 off.
☕️ Purity Coffee: http//:www.ketokampcoffee.com, use ketokamp at
checkout for 10% off
The Cancer Code
- Cancer has always been a great mystery. We know what causes
other diseases or infections. Cancer is the second cause of death
in America, yet we don’t know what it is.
- The way we think about cancer has changed significantly
throughout the years. There is an enormous shift in how we see the
disease, affecting how we treat the disease.
- There is a recognition that cancer is actually an
obesity-related disease. In 2003, there was convincing evidence
about the correlation between cancer and obesity. In fact, it’s a
massive part of cancer.
- Diet turns out to be 30-35% related to cancer causation.
- Breast cancer and colorectal cancer are the most prominent
- “Diseases of metabolism are also diseases of growth.” -Dr.
[16:15] Every Cancer Develops From Your Own
- The number of mutations that are required to get cancer far
outstrips the rate of mutation.
- Why does every cancer look exactly the same?
- People will have identical cancers that develop independently
of each other.
- Cancer is an evolutionary disease. You can take the tools of
evolutionary biology and apply them to cancer instead.
- All the different mutations are not random because they all end
up in the same place. It’s not a random chance mutation; it’s a
- Cancer is not part of your body; it’s foreign. The immune
system will attack cancer cells.
[25:00] A Seven-Day Water Fast Could Shrink
- The research on water fasts is preliminary.
- A water fast will maximize autophagy. It will put your cells
into maintenance mode. When you fast, your insulin will lower as
well as your mTOR.
- Cancer is a tough thing to study because you cannot use
preventative treatments once it gets past a certain point.
- If you want to study prevention, then you need lots of
[29:00] The Correlation Between Glucose and
- Cancer runs on glucose much better than they run on fat.
- If a cell is trying to grow, then it needs fuel.
- Some cancer cells can run on protein and fat.
- Glucose is the most readily available fuel, and it makes the
cell run efficiently.
- If you starve the cell of glucose, then it can change.
- Before you develop cancer, nutrition can be enough to prevent
[38:35] How Bad Fats Could Increase Our Chances of
- Bad fats could possibly increase our chances of cancer.
However, the data isn’t there yet.
- Anything that increases inflammation is going to create a risk
- Cancer develops from inflammation and chronic damage.
- Anything that causes chronic damage to the body puts pressure
on the body to be in survival mode.
[42:50] The Benefits of Metformin
- If you have type 2 diabetes, then metformin may be better for
- Metformin will turn down excessive growth. If you are in growth
mode all the time, it’s bad for longevity.
- You want your metabolic rate to be lower by eating less.
[45:30] Getting Too Much Autophagy
- Too much autophagy is bad and too little autophagy is bad. You
want to be somewhere in the middle.
- You want to maintain a middle ground of autophagy for the most
- When you eat too much, you’ll turn off autophagy.
[47:40] How Fasting Can Improve Chemotherapy
- Chemotherapy will kill cancer cells. Fasting will turn down
normal cell growth. Therefore, they will be less susceptible to
- Cancer cells cannot turn themselves down as easily.
- Fasting is safe during chemotherapy. Plus, it is shown that you
can handle the chemotherapy better when fasting.
AND MUCH MORE!
Resources from this episode:
// F O L L O W B E N
▸ instagram | @thebenazadi | http://bit.ly/2B1NXKW
▸ facebook | /thebenazadi | http://bit.ly/2BVvvW6
▸ twitter | @thebenazadi http://bit.ly/2USE0so
Disclaimer: This podcast is for information purposes only.
Statements and views expressed on this podcast are not medical
advice. This podcast including Ben Azadi disclaim responsibility
from any possible adverse effects from the use of information
contained herein. Opinions of guests are their own, and this
podcast does not accept responsibility of statements made by
guests. This podcast does not make any representations or
warranties about guests qualifications or credibility. Individuals
on this podcast may have a direct or non-direct interest in
products or services referred to herein. If you think you have a
medical problem, consult a licensed physician.