Dec 30, 2019
Welcome to the Keto Kamp Podcast Episode 78 with Dr.
Today, I am lucky to have here with me, Dr. Carrie Jones, a
functional medicine women's health and hormone doctor. Dr. Carrie
Jones believes in the importance of both men and women
understanding their hormones in a simplified manner so they can
feel more empowered to take control of their health, especially
when they are told everything is "normal." Still, they don't feel
Dr. Carrie is a Naturopathic Physician with a Master's in Public
Health, having over 12 years in the field of functional and
integrative medicine. As Adjunct Faculty for the National
University of Natural Medicine (NUNM), she has taught courses in
both Gynecology and Advanced Endocrinology.
Dr. Carrie has been the Medical Director for two large
integrative clinics in Portland, Oregon. Dr. Carrie is currently
the Medical Director for Precision Analytical, Inc, creators of the
most cutting edge hormone test on the market, the DUTCH Test.
As a result, Dr. Carrie consults with the most fantastic health
care practitioners all over the world on the hormone status of
their patients, and lecture/teach/frequently write on the same
topic. Understanding adrenal, thyroid, and sex hormones are
complicated. Dr. Carrie's job is not to judge. Her job is to
educate and empower.
In this episode, Dr. Carrie Jones speaks about common women's
health issues. Lack of energy is a common complaint which could be
due to a variety of issues. It is essential to get morning sunlight
to combat the lack of energy. If you do not have access to
sunlight, Dr. Carrie says to get a full-spectrum light. Then,
Carrie explains the importance of healthy fats on our hormones. If
women are not eating healthy fats, they stop ovulating, their skin
breaks out, and their hair is in poor health. Later, Dr. Carrie
advises on how to prevent constipation and heavy periods.
[00:45] About Dr. Carrie Jones
- Carrie always knew she wanted to get into the healthcare
- In Portland, Dr. Carrie found naturopathic medicine. She
learned all the naturopathic principles, diet, lifestyle, sleep,
and risk-factor mitigation.
- Carrie uses a lot of herbal medication, essential oils, and
acupuncture. She does not put herself in any specific box. There
are a time and a place for surgery and antibiotics.
[05:25] The Most Common Problem With Women’s
- There are metabolic and hormonal problems. Most women’s issues
will fall into one of these two categories.
- A majority of women complain about their energy. Dr. Carrie
says there is a lot of reasons for low energy. It can be cortisol,
B12, thyroid, poor sleep, etc. Dr. Carrie does a series of tests to
determine what could be causing low energy.
[07:50] The Importance of Morning Sunlight
- Morning sunlight is light and day difference.
- Open your curtains. The sunshine in your eyes will wake up your
brain. You have twenty to thirty minutes when you switch from
unconscious to alertness.
- If you have overcast, it’s still okay.
- If it’s dark when you wake up, you will need a full-spectrum
light. It will give you the sensation of being outside. Turn it on
for ten minutes to a few hours. You want it within eye view – don’t
just set it on the counter and walk away. When you are getting
ready, set it on the bathroom counter.
[15:15] Teas for Adrenal Health and Morning
- Licorice blends and other supportive herbs.
- Detox teas are typically a joke. However, many detox teas have
nutritive and supportive supplements.
- Every morning, Dr. Carries drinks green tea. Jasmine green tea
is her favorite. Midmorning, Dr. Carrie drinks macha tea.
[17:00] The Role Healthy Fats Play With Our Hormones
- Cholesterol is the backbone of all our healthy hormones.
- If you don’t eat fat, a lot of things can happen to your body:
- You won’t ovulate, so you can’t get pregnant.
- Your skin will break out.
- Your hair will be too greasy or too dry.
- Fat will make hormones and increase cellular health.
- Athletes will often not have their periods. However, it is
completely destroying their hormones. Which will also make it tough
on the brain, skin, and hormones.
[21:35] Dr. Carrie’s Favorite Fats and Least Favorite
- Carrie responds well to olive-oil, avocados, and fish oil.
- Bad fats are things like fried foods. Eating a basket of fries
will not make you feel healthy.
- Avoid industrial seed oils.
- Do the best you can and take baby steps.
[25:00] About DUTCH (Dried Urine Test For Comprehensive
- It’s a test in which you need to urinate on paper four or times
a day. The test is handy because it will alter depending on your
- It will test your hormones and where your hormones are going.
Our hormones have to go somewhere.
- We can be proactive when we learn our results from this
[31:40] Preventing Constipation
- Hydration is huge. Most people are underhydrated.
- Diet is also essential. We lack in fiber. Eat fiber and
vegetables to move your stool.
- Everything can be done through diet and lifestyle changes.
- Get good sleep. When we are not sleeping well, we do not wake
up repaired, and it slows our systems down.
[36:10] Eating the Keto Diet Without Restricting
- Hormones will tank out if women strictly eat keto. Women might
not be doing the diet correctly. However, doing 100% keto will
affect some women.
- Seven days before the cycle, progesterone should be the
- People will need flexibility with the diet whose hormones are
out of whack.
[41:50] Preventing Heavy Periods
- Heavy periods can happen because of low progesterone, iron
deficiency, or low thyroid.
- A lot of women are not in tune with their cycle.
- Some women don’t know if they are releasing eggs. When we have
enough progesterone, our bleeding is easy and straightforward.
- Some women have too much estrogen. This will result in heavy
periods and lots of clots.
- Find out if you ovulate. Track temperatures and look at
- If you want to ovulate, you need B vitamins.
[47:00] Post-Menopausal Women
- Once the ovaries are done, estrogen and progesterone get
- Be diligent about your stress response, self-care, and sleep
- Women will need to be more diligent post-menopause.
- If you have always had the same kind of diet, start changing up
AND MUCH MORE!
Resources from this episode:
- Check out Carrie’s
- Follow Dr. Carrie Jones
- Find the DUTCH Test
- Follow the DUTCH Test
- Email email@example.com
- Call 503.687.2050
// F O L L O W
▸ instagram | @thebenazadi | http://bit.ly/2B1NXKW
▸ facebook | /thebenazadi | http://bit.ly/2BVvvW6
▸ twitter | @thebenazadi http://bit.ly/2USE0so
▸ linkedin | http://bit.ly/2PNRh40
▸ email | firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: This podcast is for information purposes only.
Statements and views expressed on this podcast are not medical
advice. This podcast including Ben Azadi disclaim responsibility
from any possible adverse effects from the use of information
contained herein. Opinions of guests are their own, and this
podcast does not accept responsibility of statements made by
guests. This podcast does not make any representations or
warranties about guests qualifications or credibility. Individuals
on this podcast may have a direct or non-direct interest in
products or services referred to herein. If you think you have a
medical problem, consult a licensed physician.